There are apps for most things you do online - use them safely and securely.
We're working with Get Safe Online to bring you online safety messages.
Posted on 3 January 2018
Thanks to apps, your phone, tablet and watch have become the smartest and fastest way to communicate, navigate, shop, bank, book, pay, get your entertainment … you name it.
But convenience can bring disadvantages, so we’d like to pass on a few expert tips about making sure you choose and use apps safely and securely.
- Use only official app stores to avoid downloading bogus apps
- Read the small print before you accept terms and conditions
- Know what permissions you’re granting the app for accessing location, photos, and other functions or data
- Check settings for automatic update selection
- Check content ratings, especially for apps which may be accessed by children
- Always log out … don’t just close the app
- Use public Wi-Fi safely, don’t use hotspots when what you’re doing is confidential
- Download app updates when prompted, as they often contain security fixes
- Look after your devices so they don’t get lost or fall into the wrong hands
- Keep an eye on bills, as data use and in-app purchases can soon mount up
- Do your housekeeping by removing unused apps and resetting your device when disposing of it
For more information, visit www.getsafeonline.org/safeapps